Kayla asks :

Hi Lucy,  

I recently moved into a new house for university and within a week one of my roommates has stolen my tablet, the tablet was of great sentimental value to me and since it was taken I've become quite distressed. I'm no longer sleeping well and I'm on edge and scared to leave my room. Unfortunately I live in a large house with something like 15 people in it and I haven't even met most of my roommates so I have no idea who might have done this. I can replace the tablet in terms of money bit I don't even really have need for it and it isn't an issue of money that upsets me. I really don't know how to deal with something like this, I've already started looking for a new place but it'll be a while yet before I'd be able to move.


Hi Kayla,

Agony Aunts on Female First

Agony Aunts on Female First

Perhaps you could talk to your roommates and ask them if they know anything about your tablet. If you have not met them all yet, then this might be a way to break the ice and get to know them. Your tablet might have been picked up by mistake if one of your roommates has one that's similar.

In light of what's happened there are things you can do to protect yourself from this happening again.

Firstly, make sure that you get yourself some insurance for your belongings so you can claim the money back and buy yourself something new in the event that another item goes missing.

Mark all your possessions with a UV pen with your name or your university number so your things can be clearly identified.

If your doors are not fitted with locks, then I would suggest talking to your landlord to get these fitted. If there are locks, then make sure that you secure it at bedtime and when you leave the house so people can't get in your room.

Take everything valuable with you when you leave shared areas like jewellery, money or gadgets so there is no opportunity for people to take your things while you are distracted.

by for v5.femalefirst.co.uk
find me on and follow me on

tagged in

Need Help?

If you need help or advice, you can ask Yin & Yang. It's quick, easy, free and you don't have to leave your real name.