Recently, there has been a lot of discussion around the impact that the pandemic will have had on children’s education. With the summer holidays now here, many parents are exploring the tools and services that they could use to ensure that their child stays connected to their studies. Extra tuition is something that has been used by parents for a long time now; however, there are a number of questions around who it is for, and how it is accessed. To help ‘GoStudent’ have put together this handy guide:

Will a 1:1 tutor be the right choice for my child? Photo Credit:Pixabay

Will a 1:1 tutor be the right choice for my child? Photo Credit:Pixabay

 

Lesson one: myth busting!

There are two myths that continually surround the word ‘tutoring’: that it is the privilege of the rich, and that it is exclusively for children that are falling behind. Whilst tailored 1:1 tutoring can help a child that is struggling, it is also often a choice for families that want to nurture a passion or a talent that their child has, or that want to help them to maximise their potential. Similarly, private, high quality tuition can be easily accessed for less than £20 a session.

 

We find that approximately 75% of our parents are looking to help their child either achieve a specific grade or reach an academic goal, with the other 25% looking to expand their child’s horizons. In these instances, parents might be looking to nurture a particular passion, talent, or interest, or they might be seeking 1:1 tuition for a child that lacks the confidence to ask questions in class, for example.

 

How does tutoring work?

Regardless of the service you use, or if you opt for a face-to-face or online tutoring format, the basic principles are the same. The tutor will be aware of your end goal and will create a tailored study plan to help you and your child reach your target. A good tutor will understand your child’s learning style and will tailor their lessons to suit your son or daughter’s specific needs. Some may use play or music to teach, others may use video games or popular culture references.

 

Typically, your child will meet their tutor on a 1:1 basis as many times a week as you feel is necessary. If you opt for online learning, sessions will take place in a virtual classroom or via video, whilst in-person tutoring will often take place at a school or in a home environment.

 

If you or your child does not feel that the tutor is the right match, then you should always feel able to address this. If you feel that the teaching style isn’t right, then open a dialogue with the individual or company and discuss together the changes that you would like to make. Equally, if there is a clash of personality, or the lessons are just not resonating, then feel empowered to ask to switch tutors, or to seek a different style of tutoring for your child. Paid tuition is an investment, and all parties will want to ensure that you are seeing the very best results.

 

Can I be sure that my child will benefit?

We truly believe that education can be made accessible and enjoyable for every child - the key to success is access to great teachers. Regardless of whether your child is in need of additional support, or keen to dig deeper into a subject they are curious about, if they are paired with an inspiring and engaging tutor, they are likely to succeed in their learning goals.

 

Many companies will offer trial sessions, so you can get a taste for the style and format before you make a final choice. Don’t feel pressured to agree to more sessions if you feel that your child won’t get the most out of the partnership. Always feel able to try a few services before making a decision - you could even decide together with your child, helping them to feel involved in the process and excited about the lessons that are to come.

 

When will I see results?

Long-lasting change doesn’t happen overnight. We usually say that parents should begin to see larger changes after three months, and that the longer the partnership lasts, the more progress will be made. It is important to also remember that positive results also come in many forms. Yes, increased grades are a key indicator, but bolstered confidence, a greater interest in a specific subject and a bigger hunger for learning are all signs of success too.

 

For more information, visit https://www.gostudent.org/en

 

 

 

 

 

 


by for v5.femalefirst.co.uk