"This recipe it so simple to prepare that Ben's mum swears by it," Wingmans owners David Turofsky and Ben Ford explain in their new cookbook. "It's sweet and sticky, with just enough lemon to keep it fresh and zingy.
"The secret to this is the pepper," they adds. "Don't be tempted to use store-bought ground black pepper – fresh is best and all the hard work and elbow grease needed to grind it will result in such tasty wings that you'll be licking your lips and going back in for another and another…"
The Honey Monster chicken wings recipe
1.25kg chicken wings, tip removed, drums and flat separated
2tsp celery salt
2tsp ground white pepper
1tsp freshly ground black pepper
2tsp garlic granules
For the sauce:
200g golden caster sugar
Zest of 2½ lemons
Large piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
2 large shallots, finely chopped
Black pepper, to taste
1. In a large bowl combine the wings with the dry spices and let marinate in the fridge for at least one hour or up to four hours – keep chilled until ready to cook.
2. Preheat the oven to 180ºC Gas 4. In a small saucepan bring 150ml water to the boil with the sugar. Add the honey, zest of two lemons and the ginger to the syrup. Allow to reduce slightly until the syrup takes on both flavours. Sieve the syrup into a clean container.
3. Soften the shallots in a small pan with the butter. Pour the syrup onto the softened shallots and mix together. Line up the wings on a wire rack over a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
4. After 15 minutes, brush the wings with the glaze and continue to cook, applying fresh glaze every five minutes for a further 15 minutes. Reserve some glaze to serve.
5. Put the wings in a bowl and toss with a little reserved glaze ensuring they are fully coated.
6. Arrange in a serving dish and garnish with the remaining lemon zest and five to 10 twists of black pepper.
Wings And Things: Lip-smacking Chicken Recipes by David Turofsky and Ben Ford, photography by Dan Jones, is published by Quadrille, priced GBP 16.99. Available April 30.
Video: Simple steps - Honey BBQ Chicken Wings