Following recent reports of the health risks associated with sleep problems celebrity make-up guru Jenni Shaw has revealed the benefits of getting your beauty sleep.
Speaking to Time4Sleep.co.uk Jenni shared her own experiences of not enough shut eye.
‘The most common question posed to me is ‘How can I keep my skin looking healthy?’ Aside from sitting in my make-up chair, my initial response is to tell them that getting enough sleep is key to having beautiful skin.’
Jenni has worked with celebrities featured in some of the world most glamorous magazines including Cosmopolitan, More, GQ and Teen Vogue.
‘I once worked with a famous rock singer who had flown to New York for a photo shoot. He drank scotch on the plane and told me he didn’t sleep the night before due to his hectic itinerary.’
‘We were hours ahead of schedule so I told him to take a nap in the green room and come back in 30 minutes. He returned to me looking ten years younger.’
Jenni admits make-up can work wonders for weary looking skin but says: ‘While make-up can create a range of illusions that modify a person’s appearance, nothing compares with the benefits of a good night’s sleep!’
Fellow make-up artist to the stars, Erika Swinn agrees; advising that sleepless-skin isn’t just a celebrity concern.
She said: ‘Lack of sleep can have such an impact on the appearance of your skin- I should know I have a six-month-old daughter! Skin can appear dull, grey and dark circles surrounding the eye area can appear. Sometimes lack of sleep can result in blemishes on the face, or the opposite problem of dry patches.’
But if a full and fruitful night’s sleep is a thing of dreams for you, here’s the expert’s beauty tips to fake that fresh face:
TOP TIPS FOR A FRESH FACE:
1. Basic skincare has a lot to offer: using a good cleanser, toner and moisturiser every day can give you a glowing complexion and create a good base for make-up. I highly recommend Dermalogica skin care to all my clients, especially Skin Smoothing Cream as an everyday moisturiser.
2. Dark eyes from lack of sleep can be smoothed over by using a good eye treatment. Decleor have a brilliant cream that acts as anti-ageing as well as lightening the under-eye area.
3. For dark circles especially, a key product in my kit is Bourjois Healthy Mix Illuminating Concealer, which works by brightening the area and promises to be an anti-fatigue product. The light-reflecting particles in the concealer really do work to brighten the under-eye area.
4. Healthy, hydrated skin is the secret to flawless make-up, but as far as make-up goes there are some fantastic products to create dewy, glowing skin. Ginvera BB cream is a brilliant everyday product that leaves the skin smooth, light and hydrated.
5. Finally, exfoliating at least twice a week gets rid of all the dead skin cells, really brightening the skin.