- 1 x Tesco Free From Vegan Christmas Pudding
- For the aquafaba cinnamon pavlova:
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas. Drain and keep the aquafaba (chick pea water) and reserve the chick peas for another recipe. 200g caster sugar
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
For the whisky & brown bread ice cream:
- 75g (2 large slices) wholemeal bread with crusts on, preferably stale
- 10g vegan butter
- 30g caster sugar
- 30g light brown sugar
- A pinch of sea salt
- 500ml of vegan ice cream, we used Swedish Glace Vanilla Ice Cream
- 50cl Tesco Scotch Whisky
- For the coconut salted caramel:
- 1 can coconut milk (400ml)
- 150g light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1-2 tsp sea salt
For the aquafaba cinnamon meringues:
- Preheat the oven to 120C
- Weigh out 100ml chickpea water / aquafaba and place in a mixing bowl. Beat using a stand mixer or electric hand whisk until the liquid turns white, light and standing in firm peaks. Now, with the beaters still mixing the meringue, add the caster sugar a dessert spoon at a time, making sure to beat each addition of sugar into the mixture, until all the sugar is incorporated and the meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper. Now, using a piping bag, or freehand with a dessert spoon if you prefer, create 6 pavlova bases, around 8 - 10 cm in diameter. Bake for two hours then turn the oven off and let them cool down for another couple of hours. Keep in a air tight container until ready to use.
To make the whisky & brown bread ice cream:
- Allow the vegan ice cream to defrost until it's a mix-able consistency.
- Using a food processor or blender, blitz the bread into fine crumbs. Melt the vegan butter in a large frying pan set over a low-medium heat and add the sugars, salt and the breadcrumbs, stirring well to coat. Cook for about 10 mins, stirring frequently so that the crumbs don’t catch, until the mixture is deeply golden and caramelised. Set aside to cool completely, stirring now and then to break the crumbs up.
- When the mixture is cool, fold the breadcrumbs into the ice cream mix and also fold in the whisky at this stage. Transfer to a tub and refreeze in the freezer until ready to use.
To make the vegan salted caramel:
- Place the coconut milk, sugar and vanilla in a pan and bring to a gentle boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, the mixture has turned a deep caramel colour and has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add the salt to taste. The mixture will thicken more as it cools but you can heat it up again to loosen it before you serve.
To make the Christmas Pudding crumb:
- Cut a couple of good-sized slices from the Christmas pudding, retaining the rest to enjoy later. Crumble the pudding into pieces and microwave in the oven for two minutes until cooked through.
To assemble the dish:
- Place a pavlova in the middle of each of the six plates. Top each pavlova with a large scoop of ice cream and some of your Christmas pudding crumbs, then drizzle generously with coconut salted caramel.
tagged in Recipe